Well, Ruby I hope Miles is correct (from the standpoint of strong LENR
advocacy on my part) and I thank you for following up with the proper
question. All of us here should only be concerned with the science - not
promoting one theory or another. Most of us do want to promote a proper
understanding of what makes LENR work, however and sometimes that goes
against the grain.

Funny thing, however, in trying to move in that direction. What is more
basic and fundamental as a measurement value which needs to be known - than
the mass of the proton? Let's focus on that simple item - wrt the broad
claim of accuracy at the ppb range.

Let me say that as a personal interest, since this is somewhat related but
not exactly - I have a collection of mass measurements of the proton, from
different Labs around the world, over different time frames.

Conveniently, for this discussion - the mass variation in these measurements
goes down to around the 9-10 significant digits, but that is where the fun
starts. In this case we are not talking about dilution of helium in a mixed
gas, but the claim that 1 ppb mass variation with good accuracy is possible.
Yes, I realize this is not apples-to-apples, but I think it makes the point
that Miles claim is not believable as a practical matter, when it comes down
to real-world applicability.

The CODATA "recommended" value for proton mass is

1.672 621 777(74) x 10-27 kg

Where 74 ppb is the supposed error range - which would be mean that top labs
should all come in with something similar - correct? Even so, this error
range is well over 1 ppb and it represents the best effort, Worldwide - for
a most important value.

Variation is actual measurements, however, as published over the years is
huge - especially in countries which may not have wanted to follow the
Western lead, and especially back in the nineties. Even Jefferson Lab, no
slouch when it comes to measurement - reports a value that diverges way back
at the ppm range, as do dozens if not hundreds of other measurements, and
most of them were back when Miles work was being done.

If the experts cannot get their act together - at greater than ppm on the
mass of the proton, given its importance to physics, then I'm simply far
from confident that one can accurately discriminate in a situation where
there is claimed to be a few ppb of an atom of helium in a mix, the other
components of which are so close.

Of course, I have never claimed to be an expert on this, only a collector of
information from various sources - but I have talked to several experts who
agree that this talk about accuracy in the ppb range is closer to wishful
thinking than something which can be taken as fact.

For me, and despite what Miles has told you today - the lack of gammas
overwhelms any claim that I have seen of helium in proportion to heat. But
again, all it takes is an experiment where ppm of helium is being made, and
we should have that report in a matter of months.

The think I find most alarming is the "circle the wagons" mentality that
seems to be happening in certain cliques against Mizuno's work. It is
anti-scientific and counter-productive.

From: Ruby

>From Dr. Melvin Miles:

"Jones Beene is simply wrong about the accuracy of helium-4 measurements.
The laboratories that I used for my samples specialized in highly accurate
helium measurements.  The DOI lab in Texas could easily measure 1 ppb.  The
Rockwell lab with Dr.Brian Oliver was even better with an accuracy of 0.1
ppb."

Ruby