Eric--

Yeh--You are probably right.

However, the idea related to a little project I was assigned in the early
1980's to look into a news report of a professor at the U of Arizona (as I
remember) that had developed a procress for transmutation of nuclear wastes.
He had written a nuclear physics text book and it included magnetic quadrupole
and electric quadrupole coupling in some detail.  The idea was that a nucleus
could be stimulated to an excited state and then decay to a non-radioactive
state or new stable nucleus.  A patent had been applied for per the news
article.  When I tried to retrieve the patent, it had apparently become black.
Folks at Oak Ridge who I thought should be aquainted with the work would not
talk with me.  They should have, given my job.  Related experience with others
lead me to conclude the blackness of the patent.  It was not the first time I
had come across an unexplained lack of communication relative to an interesting
patent.

About the mid 80's I reviewed the PNL prepared DOE document for options for
disposal of high level nuclear waste, published in the late 1970's.  It was a
major work addressing defense wastes as well as commercial wastes and related
to options for NEPA evaluations.    One option included a similar scheme to the
professor's, I thought.  The details were spelled out via reference documents
in some detail.  The conclusion was that such a method was impractical because
there was not a cheap way to get electric or magnetic energy through the cloud
of electrons of normal radioactive waste.  I was not able to get the references
for the details.

Since that time lots has happened to the capability of tuned electronics with
lasers in particular.  Tuning was an issue in the early 80's to provide
resonance coupling with the moments of the various radioactive nuclei.  Such
tuned signals can penetrate the electronic clouds around nuclei and allow good
deposition  of the directed energy.   Much of the then current technology was
black in my estimation.

It was with this background that my recent wishful thinking kicked in.

Bob Cook