If you measured at 2.5u you would be dealing with IR directly emitted from the interior of the hot cat because at that wavelength the alumina would be somewhat transparent to IR. Measuring at the wavelengths they did the IR cameras were only reading the surface temperature because of aluminas's opaqueness at wavelengths above approximately 3.5u. Almost everyone gets hung up on the visible wavelength pictures that were published in the report. They bear almost no relation to what the IR cameras were observing.

Robert Dorr

At 04:51 PM 10/24/2014, you wrote:
Worth listening to, but they were talking at cross-purposes at times.

3-way complication between reflectance, emission and transmission. Said that wires could cause shadows. (But not, by my analysis from a diffuse source. unless the wire is very close to the surface).

Their system can be used to *determine* the emissivity.

I *think* they said it would be better to measure Alumina at a lower wavelength (2.5u?) and not in the IR band (8-14)?

So far, I see no reason to budge from my initial evaluation of "inconclusive". But just one more nail in the coffin and I might downgrade that to "failed". (But a failed experiment doesn't necessarily mean the ecat doesn't work).

In short, they were nuts to stick with the hotcat/IR calorimetry, and should have asked for a fatcat with water (non-steam) calorimetry.

ps : I have a black body / emissivity simulator under construction. But will it "rescue" or "kill" the results?

----------
From: "H Veeder" <hveeder...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 2:50:05 PM

MFMP interviews a spokesman for the company Williamson which specializes in non-contact temperature measurement. They discuss the problem of measuring the temperature of Alumina at higher temperatures.
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3O3bSu6N7vwcDJUWGl1Y0pmTWs/edit?pli=1>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3O3bSu6N7vwcDJUWGl1Y0pmTWs/edit?pli=1
(15 min. audio only must be downloaded to listen)

Harry

No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.