I have no first hand knowledge one way or the other [this was not my
assertion].  I believe Dr. McKubre to be an outstanding researcher and have
no reason to believe this escaped his attention.  Even if it did, it would
only be a minor error and does not alter conclusions.

It will make a difference whether in constant current mode or constant
voltage mode.  Given the nature of the chemical cell having a "cell
voltage", constant voltage mode would likely be worse because I think the
bubbles would cause larger swings in real instantaneous power than if the
cell were run in constant current mode.  The problem exists to some extent
with almost any real DAQ.  If the current remains perfectly fixed, the
voltage will change and there will still be real instantaneous power
variation, only I think less real instantaneous power variation than in
constant voltage mode.  The smaller the real instantaneous power variation,
the smaller the error introduced by using average current and average
voltage over a discrete interval.  Keep in mind, we are talking about small
changes in resistance - well within the regulation circuits of most power
supplies.

Adding a capacitor across the supply just insures constant voltage mode -
which I believe would be worse than constant current mode.  The most
practical solution is to reduce the sampling period by spending more on the
DAQ.  The error can be reduced via shortening the sampling period until the
error is no longer a concern - at additional cost of the DAQ.  Just like
anything else, you can usually buy more accuracy.

Bob