Do you have UDP implemented?
I imagine the physics would require fast client-server UDP link,

chris

On 2/26/07, Peter Amstutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Since VOS was originally conceived as a peer-to-peer system, we had this
idea that we could do client-based physics, but that idea quickly breaks
down when you have more than one client applying force to a single
object.  So it will probably end up being something like server-based
simulation + client side prediction.  Prediction may be as simple as
sending linear/rotational velocity and extrapolating from that, perhaps
with collision detection so people don't appear to run through things...

One thing I've come to realize is over the Internet lag is often so bad
that close synchronization is impossible and the best you can do is make
it look good on each client and just hope it's close enough.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 08:41:09PM -0800, Ken Taylor wrote:
> For some reason I got physics on the brain this week, so I kinda went
crazy
> and added a bunch of thoughts to
> http://interreality.org/cgi-bin/moinwiki/moin.cgi/PhysicsInVos ...
mostly
> about client-side prediction, intended-movement representation, and
using
> access control permissions to enforce a sector physics simulation.  I'm
no
> physics simulation expert by any means, and I still have a lot to learn
> about VOS, but I got a good picture in my head of how VOS physics could
work
> themselves out. I was inspired by http://www.gaffer.org/game-physics/
> (especially the article on network physics) and
> http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lag_Compensation ... feel free
> comment/criticize/refactor/ignore :)
>
> -Ken

[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]