O.k. strange hookings seem to be the theme.
Fishing the Deschutes for steelhead I had a great hookup with a very
fast straight run, followed by a jump.  Not so unusual, but when I got
all my stuff together to start to put a little heat on, the fish
suddenly felt huge.
I was pretty sure it wasn't an unusually large fish, so I was confused
(as usual).
When it was finally landed, after a long and tough fight, I found that
my hook must have pulled out on the jump and the fish had thoughtfully
placed its tail along side the leader, where the hook was able to grab
it and put a really effective lasoo around a steelhead tail.
It was hard to land because there is little leverage when you have a
fish by the tail......
And, I've got a witness!

--
JeffO

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The
trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.