</quote>

Um, it isnt possible either, I've tried ;)

OK I have bitten my tounge long enough ;) ok a few pertinant points:

#1 MOST brand name PC's do not sell for list price which is what is used in this comparison, they ALWAYS have discounts and vouchers flying around.

#2 I can build a "white box" pc and it will be FAR cheaper than a Mac and just as reliable as a Mac, the downfall of PC's is the OS and that is a M$ problem, run a *nix (Debian, RedHat, FreeBSD etc) and the box will run for years on end with no problems (my servers which run my firewall, email, web, ftp, net sharing, file and print sharing etc all have uptimes of over 60 days and that is only due to western power haveing a power cut that lasted longer than the UPS had battery life (over 4 hours as they were re stringing the lines in the street)

#3 I can upgrade a PC easier than I can a Mac, I can buy new and secondhand cpu's etc usually local, BUT for mac it either has to come in from over east or O/S

#4 Each Machine has its purpose, I have NEVER seen a Mac used as a process controller (usually due to no "real" i/o bus) but I have seen many PC's used in plastic injection and cam systems.

#5 Lack of Ports, the Mac has never had (correct me if I am wrong but I believe this to be the case) parallel ports, I know new laptops are loosing these and that is a problem as the USB to Parallel adaptors only work for Printers and not other equipment (eg programming interfaces eg Jtag I/F, Scanners etc)

Now I am not slamming the Mac, far from it, but I think each has its place, if I wanted to do DTP, I would not use anything other than a mac as it has ALL the software I need, and it works well, but for serious engineering work, the mac is lacking, I can not find any Xilinx tools for FPGA work, Eagle is still in beta for EDA work and they still want au$1200.

Regards,

Kat.