On 19/1/05 7:21 PM, "Kathy Quinlan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Now I am not slamming the Mac, far from it, but I think each has its
> place, if I wanted to do DTP, I would not use anything other than a mac
> as it has ALL the software I need, and it works well, but for serious
> engineering work, the mac is lacking, I can not find any Xilinx tools
> for FPGA work, Eagle is still in beta for EDA work and they still want
> au$1200.
I couldn't agree more with what you said. I had someone ask me recently to
find an OS X solution for controlling a Step Down Motor for an engineer and
couldn't find anything under thousands of dollars yet there were plenty of
cheap PC based solutions. Another point you didn't mention was the lousy
game support for Mac's. I know there's a few good ones but not many. Most
Mac games stink. Probably due to most Macs having under powered graphic
cards.

As soon as I get more time I'm going to build a Linux box as you described
(it's one of the few platforms I haven't used yet). I started on computers
around 20 years ago on a DEC VAX Mainframe using punch cards and tape
backups. Over the years I've run Amiga's/Commodores, Windows PC's, etc till
I got my first Mac in 1994. Now I run around 16 Mac's and will probably add
a few more this year. The funny thing is most of these old computers still
hold a place in my heart for the fact they could do some things my Mac's
couldn't.

To me computers are like any other tool. Sometimes to get a job done
properly you just have to swap the tools your using to get things done the
way you want it to.

--

All the best

Greg Sharp