James Devenish wrote:

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:21:53PM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:

#5 Lack of Ports, the Mac has never had (correct me if I am
wrong but I believe this to be the case) parallel ports,

I'd always assumed that SCSI and PCMCIA in Macs were parallel
interfaces. The problem is that Macs haven't had a built-in IBM printer
port. I'm imagining that, historically, "the market" found the easy
option was to be compatible with the IBM printer adaptor, and hijack it
as a general-purpose communications interface with indefinite popular
longevity. I assume it's also a fairly "simple" and "hackable" interface
(unlike USB or FireWire), so it's cheap to get prototypes off the
ground.

Bingo :)

Regards,

Kat.