depends on whether the drive has had a mechanical failure or whether the directory is fragged. Sounds more like mechanical. I would put it n a firewire case and try to access it with something like Disk Warrior first and if it doesn't talk to that then Data Recovery X would be next. If it doesn't spin up at all then you are limited to paying data recovery experts big dollars to read the platters. Anthony at Computer Trade Centre is not bad at stuff like this and will be able to tell you if it's dead or not.
HTH
Rob