On 07/05/2006, at 8:25 AM, David Wood wrote:

Not sure how relevant this maybe but I followed this closely and turned off IPV6..... I am on Firefox not using Safari.... result was long time delays for downloads!

Hi David,

I didn't suggest anyone turn off IPV6, I suggested turning off RSS Support in Safari to speed it up.

From what I understand about IPV6, which isn't very much, and I welcome anybody to please inform me if I am incorrect. IPv6 has encryption built into it, if it had been deployed rather then IPv4 nobody would have needed to invent https, or ssh the old easy protocols would have been fine. That is important because it means people don't have to reinvent security for each and every network protocol.

Because it has a very large address space ISPs that provide IPv6 don't charge extra for globally reachable static addresses (i.e. you can run a server, and things like iChat AV work easier, so do P2P type programs).

As another, about half of what Rendevous (Panther) & Bonjour (Tiger) gives you was inspired by IPv6.

Also with IPv6 a 'stateless host auto configuration' mechanism is mandatory. This is much simpler to use and manage than IPv4 DHCP.

Car'n The Pies