On 19/08/2007, at 4:31 PM, J Philippe Chaperon wrote:

Dear WAMUG'ers,

For some time now I have been getting a message from an old Virex software I have instlled saying that a file is infected with a virus 'New Script.c'.

The message is as follows:

2007-08-19 16:10:57 +0800
/var/tmp//clamav-10b6c0ce815d4d8e/daily.ndb
Infected with virus New Script.c.

Is there anything I should worry about? I keep getting this whenever I get
ClamXav to scan  a file or folder.

I'm running OS X 10.3.9, Virex 7.5 (therefore an old version which does not update its virus definition files anymore), Clax Xav (kept up to date).

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Philippe Chaperon

It's highly doubtful that this virus is doing anything at all. Remember that although there are no known viruses "in the wild" which affect Macs, this is not to say that you cannot download a virus. It just means that it won't do anything when you do. Try to identify and locate the file in question. From your description it reads as though the ClamXav database itself (or a copy of it) contains the virus. Not very clever for a virus detector to allow itself to get infected!

Personally, I'd just delete the ClamXav and forget about it. When the first true virus hit the Mac platform, we'll all hear about it once (and no currently installed virus remover will deal with it anyway).


--
Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>