Hi Paul and all,

I tend to agree with Susan. My nephew studied Architecture at UWA and
used AutoCad on his iMac under Windows for the last 3 years or so of
his degree. That may not be the ideal solution for Mac users, but I
understand that most draftmen (draftpeople??) use Windows and almost
all  use AutoCad.

There could be software that will export their files in the AutoCad
format, but unfortunately I do not have any experience in this domain.

All the very best to your daughter.

Regards,

Philippe C

2009/6/9 Susan Hastings <susanhasti...@me.com>:
> Hi Paul, would it not be safer to have run Windows on the iMac and have
> AutoCAD run under that? TAFE are not very Mac friendly, and if there are
> transfer problems, they may not be able to help your daughter. cheers,
> Susan.
> On 09/06/2009, at 8:30 PM, j...@iinet.net.au wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>> Be careful. If you are enrolling at Central to do the drafting course at
>> Leederville then they will only being using AutoCad and will need to read
>> autocad
>> files. Trust me I work here
>>
>> john
>>
>> On Tue Jun  9 20:03 , Paul Weaver <pwea...@westnet.com.au> sent:
>>
>>> Thank you for all the useful advice so far. Plenty of Mac CAD options.
>>>  What drove
>>
>> this question was that we can take advantage of the ATO's 50 percent
>> Education Tax
>> Refund if we make a parental decision on a new computer before the end of
>> the
>> month.  We are thinking a new 24 inch iMac for $1250 might be handy for
>> our
>> daughter's ongoing CAD efforts.  One other question.  Is there a standard
>> format
>> for saved CAD files so that they can be read by different CAD apps?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Paul.

>>> Archives - http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>
>> unsubscr...@wamug.org.au>
>>>
>>> )