Morning,

Unfortunately Windows using AutoCad is the weapon of choice.
There are many programs that can open Autocad files and a lot within OS X, depends on what one is trying to achieve.

But, all Intel based Macs can run Windows comfortably with AutoCad.

Students can download a free usable version once registered at AutoCad website.

Yes there is also Cad programs for Mac, most will allow editing of AutoCad files, but depends on versions????

It will take some research and testing to implement a workable scenario.

Personally I would go down the AutoCad Windows within OS X it is relatively free, see what the leader does then go shopping.

Cheers!
RobD...