On 07/01/2010, at 9:48 PM, Chris Burton wrote:

> Good evening all
>
> My email inbox has grown to be very large indeed and I am hoping someone may
> know of a method of archiving the early years of this inbox? I regularly just
> copy my Mail folder to a backup hard drive but I would like to reduce the
> overall number of emails in my inbox.
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> kind regards
>
> chris

Hi Chris,

If you are using Apple Mail in Leopard or Snow Leopard you can "Archive a
Mailbox".

To archive mail, select one or more mailboxes in the sidebar and choose Mailbox
> Archive Mailbox.
Navigate to the location where you want the .mbox files to be stored and click
Choose.

If you later want to import one or more archived mailboxes into Mail, choose
File > Import Mailboxes, select Mbox Files, and click Continue. Navigate to the
folder containing the .mbox file(s) you want to import, select it, and click
Choose.
If prompted to do so, select which mailboxes you want to import.
Mail imports the data; after you click Done, you’ll see the imported
mailbox(es) in the sidebar (under Import in the On My Mac section).

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)