Hi Peter,

Sometimes just Quit "Airport Utility" if it doesn't find TC, then Open Time
Capsule again and see if it Time Capsule is then showing.

You certainly shouldn't have to be sitting near to Time Capsule and you don't
need to connect by Ethernet once you have setup your Network.
You can make changes to the Network through Airport Utility over wireless.