On 17/01/2010, at 7:16 AM, Laura Webb wrote:

> Good morning all
>
> As a newbie user of Keynote I've managed to sort out how to create a basic
> presentation. I've made good use of the on line tutorials. A good project for
> a hot day!!
>
> With a very new superdrive I wanted to put burning a DVD to the test,
> something I've not been able to do before, because my MacBook previously only
> had a combo drive. Some of you will remember all my recent problems with the
> optical drive when upgrading to SL I did the burn of my keynote presentation
> through Finder and had no problems with that.
>
> I had expected the DVD would play on the DVD player attached to my TV so I
> could view the slides in a larger format.  It doesn't and just comes up as
> "unknown disc". Nor can I play it in the normal way through my MacBook.  I
> can view the new DVD of my Keynote presentation through Front Row (and like
> what I see) so I know all the slides are there as they should be and that the
> burn was successful.
>
> Could someone please explain what I am doing wrong? Why can't I  view my
> Keynote DVD in the same way as any other DVD?

Hi Laura,

To play a DVD on a TV you first need to "Create" a DVD. A DVD requires  a Menu
and conversion to mpeg format.

In Keynote 09 you can go to Share - Send To - iDVD

1.In Keynote you can go to "Share - Send To - iDVD"
2.Specify the size of the video you want to create:
Standard 4:3 or Widescreen 16:9
3. Chose a Playback Uses Method:
a] Manual Advance: Gives viewers total control over the slideshow as they click
to advance slides
b] Recorded Timing : Uses timings that you have recorded for a slideshow using
the command File > record Slideshow
c] Fixed Timing: Runs the slideshow with no user interaction. You must set
slide duration & build options. If slides contain automatic build timings,
those will be used.
4. Click Send: Then give the file a name and target your Movies folder.
5. Click Export

A Quicktime Movie file is written to disk. Depending on the number of slides,
it can take a few minutes to create the DVD Video file.
Before the export finishes, iDVD will launch automatically. Whichever theme you
were using the last time you had iDVD open will be active, and you might hear
the theme's soundtrack playing. You can click the start or stop motion button
in the DVD main menu to stop the animation and sound.
6. When the export finishes, click the Play button to test the DVD project.
a] Click Play Movie to watch the entire movie
b] Click Scene Selection to see an index of the presentation

Now choose a theme for the main menu of the DVD, one that matches the look of
your slideshow

1. Click the Themes button to access all available themes
2. Choose the Theme from the pop-up menu
3. Then click OK to apply the theme family to all menus

Now you need to populate the DVD menu to complete its design
1. Click the Edit Drop Zones button to access all the drop zones for the project
Drop zones are places in the menu where you can add (or drop) your own content.

2. Click the Preview button to preview your DVD
   Watch the project all the way through to ensure smooth playback.
   When finished with the preview, click the Exit button on the remote to stop
previewing the DVD
3. If you are happy with your result you can now click the Burn Button to
create the DVD
OR, Like I do, Go to File > "Save As Disc Image", then you can check the DVD in
DVD Player before you actually burn it to a DVD-R disc.

Note: Always burn a DVD at slow speed. I burn all my DVD's at 2X (perhaps 4X on
a Verbatim  Up to16X DVD-R)
The slower the speed the better compatibility with DVD Players.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)