Thanks both to Noel and Stuart for your advise.
I have the white Belkin router and have never had a firmware update.
I purchased a lap top last year and it took me about a week to get it connected. As the Belkin has never had a firmware update, would it still be possible to get
the lap top connecting?

Cheers
Jewels