Hi Maureen,

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly get onto iinet - that never occurred to me !

Regards
Jewels

On 22/10/2010, at 8:46 PM, Maureen wrote:


Hi
I've had a Belkin router for about four years and have never done a firmware
update.

A few months ago I started having problems connecting to some internet sites and very slow speeds. Rang iiNet and a very nice gentleman walked me through
some setting changes to be made on the router. All is now well. If you
haven't contacted them it might be worth a try.


Take Care

Maureen





Thanks both to Noel and Stuart for your advise.
I have the white Belkin router and have never had a firmware update.
I purchased a lap top last year and it took me about a week to get it
connected.
As the Belkin has never had a firmware update, would it still be possible to
get
the lap top connecting?

Cheers
Jewels

On 22/10/2010, at 12:31 PM, David Noel wrote:

Hi Julie --

-- To endorse Stuart's recommendations, I remember than when I first got my Belkin router (maybe 5 years ago), there were continually-recurring problems
until I got and applied a firmware update.


-- You may have to push a bit to get the right update. When I first tried Belkin customer service, I scrambled for hours with various of their Indian customer service people. It was not until I mentioned that I had a WHITE Belkin router that I was passed to Australian Customer Service, apparently the
only people who had the right firmware for my model.


Cheers --

David Noel
2010 Oct 22

======

On 22 October 2010 12:04, Stuart Evans <[email protected]> wrote:


Hi Julie,

It is likely to be a security password encryption issue. Check whether it is WEP, WPA or WPA2. I'm assuming it is WPA2. Try different options (but not
WEP).
You may also have to do a firmware update. We had to do that for some
Linksys ADSL modems before they would work with Apple wireles.

Might save you a couple of dollars!

Cheers,
Stuart



On 21/10/10 11:32 PM, "Julie Bedford" <[email protected]> wrote:


Hi Stuart,
The ipad can see the network, but will not connect (after putting the
password in).

Jewels

On 21/10/2010, at 11:24 PM, Stuart Evans wrote:


I concur with Daniels sentiments. Go get a Netgear or Billion. I
have sold a
gazillion Netgear DG834 modem/routers in various models and haven't
had one
back. Easy peasy to set up.
Belkins are usually good too.

By chance, is the issue you are having to do with "seeing" the
wireless
network from the laptop/ipad/tower or is it problems with the security
password? That is you can see the network, but it won't connect.

Stuart



On 21/10/10 2:36 AM, "Daniel Kerr" <[email protected]> wrote:


Hi Julie

Surprised to hear that, as I've found the Belkins I've set up for
clients
work very well with all iPhones, iPads, Mac's and even Windows
machines,
both off Ethernet and wireless as well.
Normally Belkin is one of my recommendations.
The other brands I tend to work with are Netgear and Billion. Both
(and
Belkin as well normally) I recommend and find work well with
everything.
Fairly easy to set up.

Personally (and this is my own experience, so others may differ),
I'm not a
big fan of Netcomm or D-Link. I find them to be a bit un-reliable
and don't
last as long. (I've gone through 3 Netcomm modems with a client and
they
only last about 9 months before falling over. All covered by
warranty, but
still a pain in downtime and swapping them out for a new one....)

Just my 2cents with anyway.
However, if it's a setting, then a new modem may do the same as
well. So if
the Belkin isn't too old a model, may be worth revisiting the
settings for
it,....as another idea as well ;)

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel


On 21/10/10 1:00 AM, "Julie Bedford" <[email protected]> wrote:


Hi,

Wonder if anyone can direct me on getting a suitable router for my
laptop, tower and ipad.  I have
a Belkin at the moment.  When I purchased my laptop last year I
had a
lot of trouble getting it to
see my airport and now with my new ipad, I'm experiencing the same
difficulties.  I thought
rather than waste hours trying to get it to function, I would
purchase
one that is suitable,where
the laptop and ipad would locate it immediately.

Any ideas - thanks

Jewels




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml >
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>


---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel @ macwizardry . com . au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>


**For everything Macintosh**





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml >
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>



Stuart Evans
T4 Technology


ALBANY
Shop 6, 69 Lockyer Avenue, Albany, WA, 6330
T> 08 9842 9660
F> 08 9842 9664
E> [email protected]

BUNBURY
Unit 2/14 Rose Street, Bunbury, WA, 6230
T> 08 9721 9660
F> 08 9842 9664

P PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE YOU PRINT THIS E-MAIL

___________________________________________________________________________ >>>>
_
_________________________

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: DISCLAIMER

This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential or legally privileged
information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by
any mis-transmission. If you receive
this correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your
system
and notify the sender. You must
not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you
are not
the intended recipient.

Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender,
except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the opinions of T4 Technology.

Neither the sender nor T4 Technology warrants that any communication
via the
Internet is free of errors, viruses,
interception or interference. T4 Technology disclaims all liability
and
responsibility for any direct or indirect loss
arising from this electronic mail and any attachments. Information is
distributed without warranties of any kind.

___________________________________________________________________________ >>>>
_
_________________________






-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/ guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>








-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>








-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>






-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>