Adrian,

This is exactly why I am browned off with Telstra - it's OK of things work smoothly but when they do not, don't expect much from Telstra, even if you can find the right section. I complained about this Bigpond vs Telstra nonsense and actually found a 1800 number where the staff actually understood me. That number has gone and so has the department, the name of which now escapes me.


Westnet ? They obviously use either Optus or Telstra to provide the ADSL service through the wires - which is it? A change would add yet another usueless modem to the box on the floor. What a waste.

Bill





On 15/12/2010, at 12:48 PM, Adrian Skehan wrote:

Thanks for all that everyone, it looks like its going to be a long task to get what suits me best organised.

The service I have had with the Telstra/Bigpond bundle for the last 2 years has been really good--no complaints with them at all, however, I paid an account in October while I was in the eastern states and had to pay it again when I got home because they claim not to have received even though my bank has confirmed that they have. As it stands now no one in Telstra can do anything about it except to refer me on to BigPond who immediately refer me on to Telstra. My next step is the Telecommunications Ombudsman.


Regards,

Adrian
[email protected]

On 15/12/2010, at 11:00 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:

Your ADSL 'flaky' service may be affected by your distance from the exchange Peter.
Ask them about it? Never had a problem with them failing to respond,

Ken


On 15/12/2010, at 10:40 AM, Peter Meyer wrote:


I would not agree.
Westnet can be very accommodating and do make a lot of noise while you wait in their 'phone queue about how responsive they are and reliable their service is yet I have been waiting over 2 weeks now for them to get back to me about setting up a personal webspace - a pretty simple thing, supposedly and one that, incidentally they seem to have some conflict about deciding just how much you, as a user are entitled to (stating in one place in relation to the plan I am subscribed to, an allowance of 1GB and in another 20MB).

Recently too, the actual service (ADSL2+) seems to have become rather flakey and I quite often have transient connection problems to their email server, for example; accounts I access on another server will be unaffected at the same time that I have a problem with the Westnet account. Maybe this is related to the exchange somehow but in the first instance it's still a Westnet problem as they are the service provider. Well, maybe not in 'the first instance' - that would be my problem I guess? And when Mail on my MBP is having a hard time doing its job I do have the option of turning off my Wifi connection on the phone and accessing my email through my 3G Telstra account :P

Perhaps I'll have another chat to Westnet today …

peter meyer
0408 902349
[email protected]




On 15/12/2010, at 9:34 AM, Barb Zahari wrote:


I'll second that .. no problems at all in 3 years of use, & the service is great. Just the fact that phone calls are answered 24/7 by real people here in Perth makes them vastly superior in my book!

BarbZ


On 15 Dec 2010, at 9:22 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:
Westnet Adrian, they're owned by IINET and their service is impeccable,

regards,

Ken


On 14/12/2010, at 8:11 PM, Peter Martinson wrote:


Adrian Skehan wrote:
Good evening all,
Having become fed up with Telstra over a billing issue and at the same time starting to feel like one of their favourite milking cows, I have decided to move on, but just where to go from here is looking like a more daunting task than first anticipated. I am a low end user but have become used to the speed of ADSL 2. I have had the internet, home phone and mobiles bundled for the last couple of years which consider is excessively expensive considering what I use it for. Is there anything out there other than BigPond, Optus and iiNet worth looking at?
Regards,
Adrian
[email protected]
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml >
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>

Hi Adrian,
Have you had a look at   http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

Type in your phone number and it will list hundreds of available providers.
My neighbours get a good fast bundled service from Internode.

AAPT ?

regards
pmarty



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml >
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>


<unknown.gif>











      Ken Jackson


     [email protected]
      T 08 9376 1680
   M 0409 770 747
   Skype kennyj1098
     www.littleriverstudios.com.au

      
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Perth-Australia/Little-River-Studios/129893967035394









-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/ guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
<logo_left.gif>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>


<logo_left.gif>












        Ken Jackson


        [email protected]
        T 08 9376 1680
        M 0409 770 747
        Skype kennyj1098
        www.littleriverstudios.com.au
        
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Perth-Australia/Little-River-Studios/129893967035394








-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>

Dr Bill Parker
“The greatest enemy of the truth is not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth – persistent, pervasive, and unrealistic.”
 John F. Kennedy











-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>