Hi Chris,

I inadvertently didn't see your email re the above, sorry for not replying 
sooner.
I've also changed the Subject to fit your query.

Your 'Local Bloke' is correct! The SSD's are super fast with no moving parts 
(so they last a lot longer), they are completely silent, they run cooler, and 
they are expensive!

When I purchased my i7 MacBook Pro 17" I did a 'BTO' upgrade to a Serial ATA 
Drive 7200rpm 500GB Drive.
I would have loved to go to the SSD, but the price put me over budget  … one 
day though … ;-)
More chats with Daniel (Kerr) required.

My MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM + 7200rpm 500GB Drive is very fast. I'm completely 
happy with it.
They are a beautiful, sleek, fast machine.

I haven't had any experience using a computer with a SSD drive installed, 
someone on list might be able to give you a personal experience report (& we 
will all be envious).

The below link shows benchmark from BareFeats. They basically say Apple's SSDs 
are faster than any HDD, but third parties offer even faster SSDs.
<http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp19.html>

Cheers,
Ronni

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

On 07/01/2011, at 9:08 AM, Chris Burton wrote:

> Hi Ronni
> 
> Thankyou very much for the very useful reminder on doing updates. I think I 
> need to print and pin up your list in my office!!
> 
> I see you have an i7 MacBook Pro 17". 
> Im thinking of upgrading my machine and had a look on the Apple website at 
> the 15" models. As part of their options they have an i7 2.8ghz addition, 
> extra 4gb ram (which seems expensive) as well as the SSD (solid state drives) 
> up to 500gb. 
> Do you or any other muggers have experience with using these SS drives in 
> terms of speed, reliability and long term use? I spoke to a local bloke down 
> here who says they are just amazing, albeit very expensive. He mentioned they 
> are quieter, faster and produce less heat. I would hope they would also be 
> safer in the long term for data integrity?
> 
> Thanks for any advice and best regards to all
> 
> Chris
> 
> 
> 












-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>