While I understand that Apple have had their hands tied (in many ways) in relation to music and ebook sales I'm going to have to politely disagree that these reasons are applicable to the price of aperture. I don't actually have a need for aperture so I was never going to try and buy it as a US customer but I was interested in whether it could be done out of concept when I thought Australians might not be getting treated equally. Reg's explanation about tax might account for some of my perceived difference in price but I would of thought an online download store could bypass GST given the amount of fuss the big retailers are generating over online shopping for items mailed under $1000. Maybe there are other taxes besides GST that I'm unaware of that would make up that $20.
Regards Ruben > The comments: > /Quote: > "Stealing is stealing no matter how easy it is to do or however you > rationalise it." > and: > "the biggest issue is that Apple when they do catch onto you, your credit is > gone" > /End Quote > > Says it all. > > It might 'seem' unfair to people that don't understand (or research) all the > factors which cause the price difference. > The exchange rate is only one factor in the pricing equation. > > Also, Apple doesn't set the prices, the record companies do, the Record > Companies and Rights Holders in Australia charge iTunes. > If you want to blame someone blame EMI Australia who sets the prices, not > Apple. While your at it, ask the Australian book publishers why electronic > books are so much more expensive in Australia than they are overseas and why > all titles available on overseas stores aren't available here. > > I'm not about to start a 'Flaming War' as this issue has been discussed > before on WAMUG. > I apologise if my little "Rant" upsets anyone. > > Cheers, > Ronni > > On 07/01/2011, at 12:28 PM, Alexander Hartner wrote: > >> There are ways and means : >> >> http://www.news.com.au/technology/itunes-users-fight-back-against-inflated-music-prices/story-e6frfro0-1225982198878 >> >> apparently. >> >> On 7 Jan 2011, at 01:06, Dark1 wrote: >> >>> Aperture is a great deal but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that >>> Aussies are being screwed over a bit. US on the new store is $79. The >>> price differences from the original Apple store could be justified since >>> there were additional costs associated with shipping and taxes in >>> Australia. I could be wrong but I think buying from an online store would >>> bypass the Australian taxes and there certainly isn't any shipping involved >>> yet we pay $20 more. I wonder if it's possible to trick the store into >>> giving you US prices by using proxy servers. Probably not but it would be >>> interesting to see Apple's response if someone found a way to do it. >>> >>> Ruben >>> >>> In a word ... AWESOME >>> >>> There are some great bargains available to. For all you budding >>> photographers Aperture less than half price ($99.99) normally $249 >>> >>> cheers >>> >>> Pedro >>> >>> On 07/01/2011, at 12:01 AM, Pete Smith wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> Thanks Warren. >>>> >>>> I'm doing the combo update download now also. >>>> >>>> For those interested, the combo update is 1 GB in size! >>>> >>>> <http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106> >>>> >>>> Regards, >>>> >>>> Pete Smith >>>> >>>> iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo >>>> 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM >>>> 750GB Hdrive OS X 10.6.2 >>>> >>>> On 06/01/2011, at 22:08 PM, Warren Jones wrote: >>>> >>>>> >>>>> downloading now >>>>> > > > > > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> > Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>

