Thanks all, my problem is fixed now, I still don't why the triplicate emails but may be attributable to
1. Not enough useable Hard Disk space.
2. Using Mail as an archive for ALL emails AND attachments.
3. With all the triplicate emails - this filled up the little available space on hard drive and then Mail could do anything because it was overloaded. 4. SOLUTION: One WD 2Tb External Drive from OfficeWorks ($98) then I was able to follow through with the advice from the group easily.
Thanks, Rick.