Hi Ronni

Yes I logged out and back in.  The app is a free game called "Chess Knight".
The app is for the iMac not a iPod/Pad app.  It ran OK prior to the appearance
of update notification and details of the update indicate only minor changes.
Simultaneously other update notifications appeared (total of four) and three
updated with no problem.  I have temporarily stopped the annoyance by removing
the icon for the App Store from the dock.
I am sorry to hear you are having email problems, I have not bitten the bullet
yet regarding update to Lion so don't have option of iCloud.  Updates always
seem to give me problems, after updating the iPad to ios5 yesterday one of my
apps on there is behaving oddly but I have not tried chasing it down yet.

regards
Barry