Yes quite right. Assisted GPS is the combination of a GPS unit, positioning
form triangulation of cell-phone towers, and positioning using wifi hot spots.

There is one caveat, however, the Wifi only models of the iPad have no GPS unit
and also cannot contact cell-phone towers. These Wifi only models can only use
wifi triangulation to determine their position. This can be quite accurate on
occasions but can have an inaccuracy of a kilometres on other occasions.

Cheers,
Carlo