Hi Adrian,

The Apple website says that both the WiFi only version, and the 4G version will
geotag your photos.

I suspect the goetagging is done using WiFi signals, much the same as the "Find
My Friend" app does to locate Apple devices with location services turned on.

You will need the iPad with WiFi + 3G/4G version in order to navigate with GPS.

I use my iPhone to hotspot my iPad regularly, it works like a charm. You just
need to watch your Data Download on the iPhone Data Plan.

Did my suggestions fix your “Find My Mac” problem?