I'd tend to disagree on this one,.. ;) lol.
If the clone backup is fine (If you've booted off it to test and ensure that it
does work) then I'd use the opportunity to jump to 10.6.x in one go.
If you've got a 10.6 CD (last retail one was 10.6.3) then you could install
that on the laptop as a clean install, then once it gets to the "Migration"
part you can then Migrate direct from the clone that you made. That way all the
personal data etc is going to migrate back to the MacBook. You can then update
it with Software Update to 10.6.8 which will run fine on that MacBook. That way
you're doing it all in one go and getting a nice clean starting system.
And everything that is on it currently should run fine. (Though if some of it
is older software you may need to ensure to add/install Rosetta. (It will
advise you if it needs it anyway), and it just downloads it from Apple should
it require it.

You can then set up Time Machine to do backup and all is good.

To me this would be an easier way (and cleaner) to get it all up and working
again.
And if all else fails you can always go back to cloning the clone drive back to
the MacBook anyway. So there's always a Plan B (And Plan C).

The only thing that may be a thorn in this whole plan is if the 10.6.1 disc is
"specific" to the white MacBook. Ranges of machines have discs that only work
on those models. ie you can't take one models disc and install on a different
model machine. Though if they are fairly similar MacBook's you may be fine. To
test this, I'd boot off the 10.6.1 and work through as if you were going to
install and see if it gets right up to the "Install" button or if it errors
out. If it doesnt' give you an error and you get right to the "Instal" button
then you should be fine. If it gives you an error then you know that that isn't
going to work. (it will normally say something like "this System can't be
installed on this type of machine" etc etc. Or something like that. Then you
can just Quit out of the installer and go back to the normal boot drive.

As always, ensure you have a good backup before you start and a fall back plan
incase. :o)

That would be me thinking anyway. (Sorry Carlo, but hey, everyone does things
differently,..lol. I have a feeling Ronni would agree, though I'm sure she's
off watching or getting ready for the rowing,...hehe.) :o)
That's the way I've done it for other clients when upgrading or changing hard
drive capacities and upgrading at the same time. Rather then cloning the old
drive to the new then upgrading, it's just as easy to install new OS and
migrate data. You then end up with a bit more of a cleaner upgrade I find.
(Again this is just my experience and opinion) :o)

Good luck either way. Hope it goes to plan.
One of those jobs,..easy to sit down and do (or show),..not so easy to try and
explain via email.
(I tried dictating this while heading home but gave up as it just wasn't coming
through so decided to wait while I wasn't driving and home,....lol).

Kind regards
Daniel
---
Daniel Kerr