Hi Pete,

Just to wrap up this thread I'll summarise where we left things. It seems the
existing Time Capsule sparse bundle associated with you 9yo's MacBook refuses
to budge. In the end Time Capsule is an independent computer with its own
permissions and accounts. Apple attempts to keep these permissions synchronised
but there can be slip-ups.

So failing deleting the old sparse bundle here is a proposed fall back position:
Obtain an external drive with enough space to store the two sparse bundles you
wish to keep.
Turn off all Time Machine back up from al the computers in your house.
Move the two good sparse bundles to an external drive for safe keeping.
Erase the Time Capsule using Airport Utility
(http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4522?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US )
At this point try to backup the new install of your 9yo’s computer to Time
Capsule, there should be nothing stopping it now. (post back if it does not
work)
Copy back the other two sparse bundles to Time Capsule
Check that the existing computers are still associated with their newly
reinstate sparse bundle (if not post back)
I know you will be away for a couple of weeks, so let us know how things go
when you get back.

Regards
Carlo

---
Carlo Margio
Real World Computing

mob: +61 404 296 965
i...@realworldcomputing.com.au
www.realworldcomputing.com.au

On 05/08/2012, at 8:55 PM, wa...@realworldcomputing.com.au wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> It's a pity I can log onto your computer remotely for 1 minute as I am fairly
> certain I would be able to sort it out. But in a nutshell, your path to the
> sparse bundle is a little different to what I would expect to see -- possibly
> for historical reasons on your network, or possible you have you Time Capsule
> configured with an external drive, or maybe another factor.
>
> Anyway, if you bear with me and send a couple of emails back, we should be
> able to find the correct path. Could you post back the output of these two
> terminal commands...
>
> 1) "cd /Volumes"
> 2) "ls -l"
>
> Regards,
> Carlo
>
> ---
> Carlo Margio
> Real World Computing
>
> mob: 0404 296 965
> i...@realworldcomputing.com.au
> www.realworldcomputing.com.au
>
> On 05/08/2012, at 13:39 , Peter Crisp <petercr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Ok, Still not getting there with terminal. step 3 - the word "Data" is not
>> something I see in Finder. After selecting "Joannes Time Capsule" Finder
>> presents "Time Capsule" and "Maxtor" being the USB connect 1TB drive at the
>> Time Capsule. I don't see "Data". If I select "Time Capsule", I see the
>> three sparesebundle files for each of the 3 Macbooks.
>>
>> Notwithstanding that I went to Terminal and typed commands per below and I
>> get "No such file or directory".
>>

>> Hmmm
>>
>> Pete.
>>

>> On 05/08/2012, at 12:55 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> Sounds like a bit of a mess up.
>>> Yes, Time Capsule does use the MAC Address of the computer not the computer
>>> name.
>>>
>>> To delete the User's User.sparsebundle.
>>> 1. Turn Off Time Machine in System
>>> 2. In Finder under Shared select Time Capsule disk