I go to the USA each year and have some thoughts for you. For details feel free
to email me off list.

Answers in text

> If when I get there and I call up the App Store for local relevant apps with
> any of these devices, will it seek the Aus store or the US store and does it
> matter anyway?

I use USA store all the time but it probably doesn't matter. You probably don't
need lots of local apps anyway.

> How do I charge? Shall I eBay some US plugged chargers? Use car adaptor of
> cigarette point which I already have.

All of you apple gear will work wi a low cost adapter from a travel store.

> I also have a DSLR camera and I'll be taking lots of photos. It has a 32GB SD
> card in it and I want to do some backing up of the images whilst in transit.
> I have an SD to iPad adaptor, so importing to one or more of the iPads might
> serve as back up storage, or I could simply place onto a MEM stick if I use a
> computer at a Internet cafe from the SD. I'm hoping not to have to cart any
> of our MacBooks.

I would recommend a cloud based service like drop box or the brilliant eye fi
cards which not only download wirelessly but also have a back up option.

I have seen some hard drive-to-camera gear but haven't used it and think it can
get lost as well as the cloud is safer for storage.

I don't know what you are doing about getting sims and mobile phones but it is
really cheap to get a phone from virginmobileusa.com or purchase form
RadioShack. Unlimited data and text and calls for about $60/month no plan.
(Though data is good for text browsing only)

They also offer a mi fi device which might come in handy for the family. I put
it in my handbag and would have it on all the time in case I wanted to make a
Skype call in the run.

Hope this is helpful.