Hi,

On 15/05/2013, at 3:47 PM, Peter Faulks <peterfau...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

Using a Mac in Europe…..[lots of useful information about connecting in
Europe]

We are currently travelling in Japan and have had a totally different
experience. In Hong Kong, South Korea and Japan WiFi is commonly available
in coffee shops as well as hotels, and many hotels provide LAN to the
rooms. It is all free of charge. The only additional equipment we've had
to buy is a USB to LAN converter, because we're travelling with a Mac Air,
which has no ethernet port, and some hotels only provide LAN, not WiFi.

Even where we've had no obvious connection in our room, when we ask at the
desk they provide a modem and cables and set us up in the lobby. Again, no
charge.

The only other thing to make sure you have working correctly before you
leave home is your SMTP settings. We were unable to use our ISP (even with
password authentication) and assumed we would use gmail, but Google
decided that we failed their security checks because we were running from
a different machine and network from that used to establish our gmail
account. In the end we created a new gmail account, set it to forward to
our real email address, and we're using that as our SMTP server. If you
are using SMTP to send your emails while travelling you really need to
test it out while you are still home!

Cheers, Kaye