Thanks Peter, I appreciate your comments.

About the only thing VLC player can't help with is playing or taking a screen 
shot of a DRM protected video. Against the current 'fair use' copyright laws...

If the Australian Government ever get around to passing the Australian 'Fair 
Use' copyright proposal, which would then allow:

The ALRC’s recommendation is to use the current exemptions and add new examples 
as ‘fairness factors’ to include: 

quotation,
non-commercial private use,
incidental or technical use,
library or archive use,
education, and 
access for people with a disability. 
I was only discussing this with my brother a few weeks ago. He was Head of the 
Melbourne Office and International Managing Partner of Herbert Smith Freehills 
and is now consulting.
This is worth a read:
Update on Australia’s fair use copyright proposal
<http://www.herbertsmithfreehills.com/insights/legal-briefings/update-on-australias-fair-use-copyright-proposal>

Kind Regards,
Ronni

Sent from Ronni's iPad4


> On 2 Sep 2014, at 7:21 am, Peter Hinchliffe <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
>> On 1 Sep 2014, at 2:53 pm, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi Peter & David,
>> 
>> Using Quicktime Player 10.3 and Quicktime Player 7.6.6 in Mavericks OS X 
>> 10.9.4, I use  Command-Shift-4 to take screen shots of paused frames of 
>> Unprotected Video.
> 
> My apologies Ronni. Upon reflection I realise that it is indeed the DVD 
> Player I was thinking of, not Quicktime Player. My experience comes from 
> attempting to capture screenshots of images from a DVD produced on an 
> Ultrasound machine, so of course, I was using DVD Player, not Quicktime. In 
> this case VLC was the only thing available which could do it.
> 
>  I bow to your extensive testing and research. Your results are duly noted.
> 
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>