Not really anything to do. 
Plug it in, and away it should go. (as I note you've already mentioned it shows 
up in System Preferences, so it should be recognised).
Did you hear the "click" when you plugged the Ethernet plug in. Also make sure 
that you have the adapter pushed in "firmly" (just enough to connect it, not 
enough to push it right through the port) ;o)
You could also try  restart with it plug in,…just incase.
I've used quite a few of them with client machines and not had any fail 
straight out of the box and must admit I've not had any problems with them. 
(one client bought about 8 of them for their laptops).

Kind regards
Daniel
---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>


**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as 
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any 
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept 
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to 
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be 
requested. 

On 14/09/2014, at 8:56 PM, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bought myself a Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt adaptor so my MBP Retina 
> can utilise ethernet for big backups and other large data movements. Tonight 
> I plugged it in and I thought it would auto recognise but nothing. I checked 
> in System Prefs under Thunderbolt and “Not Connected” is noted for both 
> ports. I proved the ethernet cable is good with another older MB connected so 
> everything up to the plug is good. I read online about some faulty adaptors 
> and maybe this is the case with mine.
> 
> I thought I’d ask maybe there is a simple start command to set it up and use 
> it.
> 
> Any experiences anyone?
> 
> Regards
> 
> Pete….
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>