On 14 Sep 2014, at 8:56 pm, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bought myself a Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt adaptor so my MBP Retina 
> can utilise ethernet for big backups and other large data movements. Tonight 
> I plugged it in and I thought it would auto recognise but nothing. I checked 
> in System Prefs under Thunderbolt and “Not Connected” is noted for both 
> ports. I proved the ethernet cable is good with another older MB connected so 
> everything up to the plug is good. I read online about some faulty adaptors 
> and maybe this is the case with mine.
> 
> I thought I’d ask maybe there is a simple start command to set it up and use 
> it.
> 
> Any experiences anyone?

I bought one of these with by MBP Retina in 2012, and it has never failed me. 
It can sometimes take a little while to establish a connection from cold, 
depending on the hardware you're connecting to, and sometimes I have to resort 
the trick of renewing the DHCP lease as described by Ronni, but I have found 
that it does depend on the network. Most of the time the connection is 
instantaneous, but sometimes it can take up to a minute or so. It can be a 
little annoying, but as I say, I have not yet had it fail to make a connection.

Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>