A further piece of information on this. If i right mouse on either the iPhoto
or Photos libraries and select "Open Package Contents" I can see the contents
and the Masters folder which shows the Year/Month/Date hierarchy and in turn
the JPG files within the bottom level folder, so they are there! It seems the
mapping from the app front end for both iPhoto and Photos to the JPG files is
'broken'.

Note, I haven't tried to do anything more, just looked.

Regards

Pete