Hi,

> We might require more details on what Telstra Dongle you are using and the
> Network settings you have.

Telstra pre-paid 4G USB modem (ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM), working just fine
for my machine
EDUP business portable wireless partner (EP-2908), also working fine

On network settings I have the dongle first, followed by ethernet.
IP uses DHCP
Router and DNS settings are 192.168.0 numbers
I share my connection from the modem to ethernet
We use an ethernet hub: Cisco Linksys SE2800
My machine is running OS X10.8.2

> The dongle is connected to your Mac so the dongle would only see your
> machine, the Mac would be handling all the local IP assignment NAT and data?

That is right

> You have 'Internet Sharing' turned on in System Preferences > Sharing?

Yes - this has been working for around two years, and nothing had been changed;
got up one morning, turned it on, and it had just stopped sharing

> Do you have any Proxy server or firewall setting blocking DNS servers?

No - remember, the wifi router plugged into the ethernet network is seeing and
sharing the connection from my machine - it is getting out onto the ethernet
and being broadcast, and we are using it to get internet on Geoff's machine.
However I have heritage machines on the network with no airport - they can no
longer connect.

> Sounds like you are picking up local IP addresses but not Public IP addresses.

Not really - the ethernet addresses on the other machines are perfectly normal
(192.168.0.*) - not local, but assigned by the router. If they were local I'd
expect them to be 169… numbers. The router address also looks fine. I did have
a period where we were seeing local IP addresses on the other machines, but
re-booting everything sorted that out.

> Without seeing your setup or knowing what Modem & Wi-Fi router you’re using
> its difficult to offer any suggestions.

I did try one other thing when we were first faced with trying to get it all to
work again. I manually set the ethernet DNS server address to that of the
modem. This appeared to work instantly - everything came back on-line, and
stayed up all day. I thought I had solved it. When we turned the machines on
next morning, same settings, it failed again, and has never worked since. I've
turned it back to automatic.

Trolling Google turned up some suggestions, including deleting
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
but I'm not sure that this would do anything useful in this case. Do you think
it worth a go? Another suggestion is to use the unix commands to shut down the
ethernet connection and re-starts it. I can do this, but can't see that it is
any different from doing it through system preferences, and I've already tried
that.

Cheers, K