Hi WAMUG members,

Daniel has given the link below for ‘How to get macOS Sierra’ which explains
the Mac models and versions of OS X you can upgrade.
So I will just reiterate my normal safety ‘Prepare' before upgrading any major
version of OS X.

Prepare to upgrade:
1. Make sure your computer can run Sierra.
2. BACKUP! - BACKUP!
3. Make sure key software is up to date, and remove clutter that could
interfere with the upgrade.
4. Decide which upgrade strategy is best for you

Back Up Your Disk

If your normal Backup strategy is Time Machine or CrashPlan, before upgrading
to Sierra, you should create a Bootable Backup (a duplicate). That’s an exact
copy of everything on your startup volume, stored on another disk so you could
start up your Mac from that other disk and it would behave precisely as it does
when you boot from your regular startup volume.

Clean Up Your Mac

Over time, most computers accumulate clutter, including outdated software,
forgotten downloads, and obsolete files. Not only can this clutter make files
harder to find, it can also cause problems when you upgrade to
Sierra—incompatibilities may show up, or you may run out of disk space, for
example.
Sierra includes new features for helping you rid your Mac of this clutter, and
that’s something you should consider setting up later on. For now, though, it’s
important to deal with the clutter that could interfere with installing and
running Sierra in the first place.

Update Your Third-party Software

Tip: RoaringApps  <http://roaringapps.com/apps>maintains a wiki listing
hundreds of Mac and iOS apps and the current status of their compatibility with
various operating system versions, as reported by users. Although this list is
neither exhaustive nor definitive, it provides a quick way to check on the apps
most important to you.

De-clutter Your Disk
Over time, your disk accumulates obsolete, extraneous, or otherwise useless
apps and files. Removing these increases the disk space available for Sierra
and reduces the chance of software conflicts.

Run Disk Utility - Check your Disk
Use Disk Utility in El Capitan or Later:
1. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).
2. In the list on the left, select your startup volume (if it isn’t already
selected), which is indented underneath the name of the device (hard drive or
SSD) that contains it.
3. Click First Aid on the toolbar, and then click Run. Disk Utility checks your
disk and repairs it if necessary.
4. When the repair is finished, click Done and quit Disk Utility.

Use Disk Utility in Yosemite or Earlier
In Yosemite or earlier, Disk Utility can’t repair the volume you booted from,
so you’ll have to use a different procedure that requires a secondary startup
volume. Follow these steps:

1. Start up your Mac from media other than your regular startup volume that
also contains Disk Utility. This could be, for example:
*A bootable duplicate of your startup disk stored on an external hard drive or
a second internal drive.
*A USB Software Reinstall Drive.
*The Hidden Recovery HD volume on a Mac running 10.7 Lion or later, which
enables OS X Recovery (choose Apple  > Restart and immediately press and hold
Command-R to start in OS X Recovery)

2. Run Disk Utility:
* If you’re running from a bootable duplicate, you can find Disk Utility in
/Applications/Utilities.
* If you’re running from a Mac OS X installation disc or USB Software Reinstall
Drive, click through the language selection screen and then choose Utilities >
Disk Utility.
* If you’re using OS X Recovery, click through the language selection screen if
it appears, and then select Disk Utility and click Continue.

3. At the left, select your regular startup volume (the one to repair, not the
one from which you’re currently booted).
4. On the First Aid pane to the right, click Repair Disk.
Disk Utility looks for common errors and repairs them if possible. Ordinarily,
it displays a message saying that repairs were completed or that no repairs
were necessary.
5. Quit Disk Utility.
6. Restart your Mac. Then:
‣ If you find yourself within the installer, quit the installer too; then,
click Startup Disk, select your main disk, and click Restart.
‣ Otherwise, choose Apple  > Restart.

Update Your Duplicate

Now that your disk is updated with the latest software, cleansed of
space-hogging residue, and verified as functioning properly, you should update
your duplicate so it reflects the latest and greatest state of your disk. With
Carbon Copy Cloner (and most other backup software), updating a duplicate is
much quicker than creating one from scratch, because only the files changed
since the last duplicate are copied.

Consider Disabling Encryption

If your Mac is already running 10.7 Lion or later and has FileVault enabled,
you need not disable it. Lion and later use FileVault 2, just like Sierra, and
it shouldn’t cause you any upgrade problems.
Or to be extra safe disable FileVault

Decide on an Installation Method

The Sierra installer doesn’t ask you to pick an installation method, as was the
case for installers of years past. However, you still have some choices. You
can approach the process in either of two ways:

• Plan A: In-place Upgrade: This easy, default method is appropriate for most
people (including anyone Upgrading to (or from) the Sierra Beta), with some
qualifications.

• Plan B: Clean Install: Although the installer no longer offers an option that
lets you start fresh by erasing your disk, you can accomplish the same thing in
a slightly roundabout way.

Obtain the Installer
Depending on your situation, obtaining the Sierra installer may be a trivial
matter of a few clicks, or it may be an involved ordeal.

Download Sierra on the Destination Mac
If you have a broadband Internet connection that can handle a 5 GB download,
obtaining Sierra is just like downloading any other app:
After it downloads, the installer launches automatically - If you need to
install on other Macs -
My strong suggestion is ‘Copy the Installer BEFORE you install!
Choose Install macOS Sierra > Quit Install macOS Sierra to quit the installer
for the time being.

The installer deletes itself after installing only when both of the following
are true:
• The installer is in /Applications on your startup volume.
• You do an in-place upgrade of your startup volume.

If you put the installer anywhere else—your Desktop, ~/Downloads,
or wherever—it won’t be deleted after it runs.
But keeping a copy or creating a Bootable Sierra Installer Volume. I prefer to
create a Bootable Installer to update other Macs.

If anyone needs instructions 'How to make a Bootable Sierra Installer Volume’ I
can supply if required.

Cheers,
Ronni

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

El Capitan OS X 10.11.6