Hi Neil,

We need more information about  Stephen’s Thumb Drive and the movie file he is
trying to copy to the thumb drive.
What format is the Thumb Drive? -  whether there is ‘trash’ still on the Thumb
Drive taking up room - what is the Video file extension .mov .wmv .mp4?

Stephen: Connect the Thumb Drive to your Mac - then select it on your Desktop
(highlight it) - Go to File > Get Info.
The resulting Window will show Kind -Format - Capacity - Available - & Used.
And at the bottom under Sharing & Permissions do you have Privilege ‘Read &
Write’
and ‘Ignore ownership on this volume’.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1