HI there, this morning my sons MacBook Pro (late 2011 500GB HDD - Yosemite) was
not booting up after many attempts. The progress bar at boot up would not
commence progressing. I read a few Google tips and figured I would try Recovery
mode which I did then with Disk Utility did a Verify Disk test. It indicated
some errors and “needs repair”. I pressed the Repair Disk button and left it to
itself and that indicated the repair was successful. Then I selected Reboot on
Startup disk which also succeeded. I did need to log into iCloud again which
wasn’t necessarily a surprise. So it all seems fine now but I wonder is this
the start of a failing HDD? He has a Time Capsule Backup which hadn’t backed up
for a couple of weeks (my kids insist on slamming the lid of the MBP shut when
they walk away which interrupts the backup so it doesn’t ever get a chance to
complete unless I intervene!!).

So backup is completing now.

With my other son James a couple of years back I successfully replaced his
internal 500GB HDD with a 250GB SSD (supplemented with a 1TB external for
Photos and iTunes libraries) and upgrade to 8GB RAM Because it was very slow.
It all worked fine just slow. This sorted it completely and now a very fast
2011 MBP.

Should I do the same for Tim’s MBP?

Regards

Pete