Hi Peter,

I would have suggested you had first tried to startup in Safe Mode / Verbose
Mode.
To get some feedback about what's happening, you choose to start up while
holding down Shift, Command and V: that enters both Safe Boot and Verbose Mode,
which spits out some messages about what Safe Boot is actually trying to do as
it goes.

Using Safe Mode can help you resolve issues that are stopping your Mac from
starting up, or any issues related to your startup disk.
If a problem you’ve been having doesn’t occur when you boot to safe mode then
it’s a safe bet it’s related to a problematic kernel extension (perhaps faulty
hardware that kernel extension accesses), or – and this is more likely – it’s
related to a third-party app or service configured to start with macOS.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

P.S. Best of Luck to your Eagles to knock off the Premiers ’Tigers’ tomorrow
;-))