Am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 00:52 schrieb Christian Ohm:
> On Sunday, 17 September 2006 at  0:03, Dennis Schridde wrote:
> > > I was almost convinced about DDS, until I tried (wanted to try) your
> > > example. It compiled and ran and showed a white cube. Then I installed
> > > the GIMP plugin and wanted to convert the tertiles image. But the
> > > plugin complains about "GL_S3_s3tc or GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
> > > is not supported by your OpenGL implementation" (the mesa3d r300
> > > driver). Your test program doesn't seem to use those extensions, can
> > > you send me the dds file to test it?
> >
> > Erm, well, the example _does_ use it.
> > glCompressedTexImage2D is part of the GL_EXT_texture_compression and
>
> You mean GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc?
No. GL_EXT_texture_compression uses GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc in
glCompressedTexImage2D if the format is GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXTx_EXT.

> > So it seems like the Mesa drivers do not support S3TC. :( Pretty odd
> > since the extension itself is supported even by TNT2 or Radeon (1st
> > generation) cards.
>
> See
> http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/s3tc_index.html .
>
> Ironically the older radeon and r200 driver are listed as working on
> that page, but not (yet) the r300.

> Anyway, the stupid patent stuff rules DDS out for me.
Hmm... If someone had a patent on the S3TC format then we probably cannot use
it that easily. I wonder how OGRE3D does this...

> > > (As is OGG, by the way. Strictly speaking, the conversion of the WAV
> > > files to OGG is a GPL violation.
> >
> > Are you going to sue us?
>
> No, that would be Eidos (or whoever owns the copyright to the Warzone
> stuff now).
>
> > > ("The source code for a work means the preferred
> > > form of  the work for making modifications to it", and that's WAV, not
> > > OGG.)
> >
> > Doesn't that depend on the POV? If I like to work with OGG files because
> > they are smaller, then that's my preffered form of work. Does the GPL
> > also define what prefered means to me?
>
> "Preferred for modification", not just "preferrer format", and that
> seems (in that case) quite clear to me. As I said above, a lossy format
> is not suitable for something that someone might want to edit again. And
> I don't have a problem with oggifying the sound files for a release, but
> what's in SVN should be lossless.
Perhaps later.

And what will you do in the case we get some videos? Do they have to be in MNG
format with WAV audio? And who wants to download that?