On Tuesday, 16 January 2007 at  6:58, Giel van Schijndel wrote:
> Christian Ohm schreef:
> > On Monday, 15 January 2007 at 23:18, Giel van Schijndel wrote:
> >> Legally I don't think it matters whether you do make note of "those
> >> various authors". Nor does it matter if you'd claim copyright on the
> >> changes made in 2005, since there is no law prohibiting claiming
> >> copyright when you don't legally poses it.
> >>
> > There is not? So if the real copyright holder complains, he does based
> > on what?
> >
> No, there isn't a law prohibiting copyright claims that cannot be
> justified. In fact I'd wish there was, that would/might stop some
> companies from digitizing public domain works such as paintings and
> other art from 1800 etc., only to claim copyright on it (copyright
> requires something to be an *original* work, merely scanning and
> possibly retouching a picture doesn't count as such).

But we're talking about a copyrighted work here. Say two people, Adam
and Bill, start writing a book. Then Bill does something else and Adam
finishes the book by himself. He then makes copies of the book with the
notice "Copyright by Adam". Now you're saying Bill has no way to assert
his copyright on the book even though he wrote parts of it?

--
There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead
armadillos.