Hello,

We keep breaking campaign again and again. Unfortunately, none of the
core developers seem to play it, at least not anymore, and we have no
automatic or easy way of testing it. The campaign code is a horrible
collection of truly horrendous hacks that nobody has of yet dared or
wished to improve on in any significant way (mission.c, transporter.c,
message.c, campaign scripts). This means any larger change made to
improve skirmish has a large chance of breaking campaign somehow,
somewhere.

No-one have in any significant way improved the campaign itself since
the original 1.10 release (no idea if that statement is valid back
even to 1.0). It is what it is, and I think this is a good thing. But
that also means there is little reason to drag the original campaign
along the same code upgrade path as the skirmish code, which is
constantly evolving.

So here is my suggestion: We pick one branch as the final campaign
release tree, and at some point branch it to become an "original
campaign only" branch, removing anything other than campaign from it
(ie no skirmish, multiplayer, etc). Starting the executable built from
this branch just brings up the tutorials, load game, options and
campaign. Whenever we build releases from newer branches, we also
build an original campaign executable from this branch to include.
Then we drop all code and scripts specific to the original campaign
from newer branches and trunk. Instead we focus on rebuilding campaign
support code on top of the new savegame format and lua branch when
those are done, so that new campaigns can be written.

Opinions?

  - Per