On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Per Inge Mathisen
<per.mathi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So here is my suggestion: We pick one branch as the final campaign
> release tree, and at some point branch it to become an "original
> campaign only" branch, removing anything other than campaign from it
> (ie no skirmish, multiplayer, etc). Starting the executable built from
> this branch just brings up the tutorials, load game, options and
> campaign. Whenever we build releases from newer branches, we also
> build an original campaign executable from this branch to include.
> Then we drop all code and scripts specific to the original campaign
> from newer branches and trunk. Instead we focus on rebuilding campaign
> support code on top of the new savegame format and lua branch when
> those are done, so that new campaigns can be written.

I really dislike this idea, because there are many upgrades that
campaign does benefit from, as much as skirmish - the new keyboard
shortcuts, such as 's', alt+click, etc, for example. The build
previews, for another. The terrain renderer, for another.

As for the skirmish-only stuff, most of them couldn't ever cause a
problem in campaign.

message.c is used in skirmish, anyway, and we use parts of mission.c
and transporter.c. The campaign scripts theoretically aren't a
problem, as long as we keep everything backwards-compatible.

Splitting the code off is going to be a problem, since that'll just be
another branch to maintain. :/ And we will have to maintain it...

-Zarel