On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM, buginator <buginato...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For our next release, I was thinking we should go with 2.4.0 if we
> break savegames for the proposed AI changes.

Ye gods, the last time our current release branch was branched from
trunk was two years and two major versions ago. I really don't want to
continue that.

What we need to do is figure out what we need to do in Qt, Lua,
newnet, and power queue.

Perhaps most important is the power system. The other stuff we can
postpone past 3.0, but we _need_ to make a decision on power system,
and soon.

Though I no longer believe that power flow is objectively inferior, I
still contest it on the basis that it's a controversial major
departure from 2.3. Everyone appears to be in agreement that the trunk
power system is inferior to all others, and in lieu of a clear winner
between the four proposed power systems on the forums, the 2.3 power
system should win by default.

I also contest it on the basis that I am nominally the lead balancer
here, and power system is arguably a balance-based decision.

I also would like to mention that I simply cannot enjoy playing a game
in which I don't know how much power I have at any given point. I've
played a few trunk games in the past, but I now play mostly 2.3 simply
because it's too frustrating managing power flows. I can somewhat
tolerate singleplayer skirmish games by giving myself a buffer of
power, but this sort of suboptimal play is something I would hate
doing in competitive multiplayer. Per, I think you mentioned enjoying
writing an AI for power flow, but AIs can calculate a lot faster than
humans, and AIs don't need to play as well as humans do.

I do not wish to threaten leaving the team simply because I disagree
with a decision, and I will try to continue contributing however this
ends up, but it's a lot more difficult to balance a game I cannot
enjoy playing competitively.

-Zarel