Here is some information here about installing Watir from behind a proxy.
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Installing+ruby+gems+from+behind+proxy+firewall

Watir now depends on several other gems, so it will be complicated to
try and download and install them them all locally. You will need to
find out how to make the Proxy install work. Thousands of other users
have been able to get this to work, so please be persistent. This is a
general feature of the Ruby Gem system, and not Watir specific.

Bret