Hi there,

I have recently started working from home and have just finished
setting up my rails development environment. I'm running into a
problem with Watir when running some of my tests.

This was all running smoothly on my PC at work, so it must be some
setting or configuration problem on my home pc.

I've seen this posted a couple of times in the forum, however I have
tried all the recommended solutions and still can't seem to resolve
it.

The full error is:
 Unable to connect to machine : 127.0.0.1 on port 9997. Make sure that
JSSh is properly installed and Firefox is running with '-jssh' option
(Watir::Exception::UnableToStartJSShException)
      /home/emily/Documents/metis/vendor/plugins/watir-on-rails/lib/
watir_on_rails.rb:35:in `open_browser'
      ./features/support/watir.rb:331:in `initialize'
      ./features/support/watir.rb:11:in `new'
      ./features/support/watir.rb:11:in `initialize'

A firefox browser does open up, but nothing further happens.

My setup:
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) (dual boot with a windows pc)
I have the gem firewatir 1.6.2 installed.
I'm using Firefox 3 and have the JSSh 0.9 extension installed and
enabled. (I made sure to select the Linux, Firefox 3 version from
here:
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/FireWatir+Installation#FireWatirInstallation-2)InstalltheJSSHFirefoxExtension

My firefox settings are -
- New pages should be opened in a new window
- Popups are not blocked

I have tried uninstalling/re-installing the JSSh extension, disabling
and re-enabling it and restarted firefox each time.

If I launch firefox with -jssh and try to telnet:
em...@emily-desktop:~$ firefox -jssh
em...@emily-desktop:~$ telnet localhost 9997
Trying 127.0.0.1...
em...@emily-desktop:~$

When I run the unit tests it fails:
em...@emily-desktop:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/
unittests$ sudo ruby mozilla_all_tests.rb
[sudo] password for emily:
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/unittests/setup.rb:13:in
`require': no such file to load -- watir (LoadError)
        from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/unittests/setup.rb:
13
        from mozilla_all_tests.rb:3:in `require'
        from mozilla_all_tests.rb:3
However I read that this happens with 1.6.2, so I'm not sure if this
means anything. (I think I need to copy development files across?)

If anyone has any suggestions of possible settings/config changes I
could check, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to watir - so
there may be something very obvious I've missed!

Many thanks,
Emily