Emily,

 Are you running a 64 bit version of ubuntu? The JSSH plugins
available are 32-bit only, I believe:
http://code.google.com/p/firewatir/issues/detail?id=38

You can compile your own extension:
http://blog.baroquebobcat.com/2009/01/06/jssh-firefox-ubuntu-64bit/

If you're not sure, could you post the output of 'uname -a', please?

Thank you,

Alex