Right now, I feel like humiliating people, but I don't really want to deep
in my heart. In my about seven years of being a Quality Assurance
Professional, I have worked for companies who hire anyone from "college
students" to computer scientists to test their software. In my opinion, that
may be the root of the problem here. Surprisingly many people who test
software don't have a solid background in Computer Science, general
programming, software architecture or any related field. For example in the
first company I worked for, a lot of people liked to play video games and
use social networking software, but I was the only one among twenty of us
who had a background in Computer Science. I'm certain that was a reason for
me not getting laid off with about half of them. Another problem may have to
do with jargon. Because most testers, even if they write automation, are
likely not programmers, they may not immediately understand the terminology,
such as "stack trace". I do agree with the call for higher quality problem
reports. I look often at what people are asking, and it is the same thing
over and over again. Most of Watir's users appear not to understand the
concept of looking over documentation or digging through a FAQ to determine
whether their question was already answered. As a QA Professional, I pride
myself in my ability to figure out whether a defect was already written up
against a particular product before going on to write up a duplicate defect.
But most of the people with whom I have worked over the years don't do this.
And when we allow non-QA personnel to help us test, we get four or five
dupes...every time!
We have tried to provide templates for users in the past like, Desktop
environment, Ruby version, Watir version. But I haven't seen many people try
and follow this pattern in asking their questions. What I think it boils
down to though is that we have tons of up to date documentation. We should
always encourage users to use the latest possible version of Ruby (supported
by Watir) and the latest possible version of stable Watir. With Watir.com
though, I am having a very hard time ignoring such behavior.

Nathan

--
Nathan Lane
Blog, http://blog.nathandelane.com