Since jssh is a binary add-on, it is specific to the version of
Firefox that it's compiled for. I've had success compiling jssh for
Firefox 3.6 for Linux; I haven't even tried it on my Mac. I've found
that if you install the wrong version, you run the risk of causing
Firefox to segfault.

Having said that, if you're running Firefox 3.5 for the Mac, and have
installed the jssh add-on for Firefox 3.5 on the Mac, and the add-on
is enabled, and you've started Firefox from Terminal using "/
Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -jssh" (this
assumes that the application in the Applications folder called Firefox
is Firefox 3.5; if you have multiple versions of Firefox in /
Applications, make sure to specify the path to your Firefox 3.5
application), then "telnet localhost 9997" should just work for you.
If it's still refusing connections, then most likely jssh isn't
listening on port 9997 like it should be at that point. Make sure you
don't have a firewall that could be refusing connections running
locally. If at that point, it's still not working, I'm kind of out of
ideas, and would suggest using the solution recommended by Željko
Filipin (watir-webdriver) instead.