Hi Ali

Am 28.11.13 15:18, schrieb Ali Lown:

I am still massively enthusiastic about WFP as a communication method, and
making a good reference client and server is the way to push it.
This I agree with, but it also tells us what our actual aim should be:
A clearly separated library for using WFP to create things - of which
the client/server are examples...

Ultimately, from my point of view, a move to GitHub would provide us
with several things:
- Full Git integration (The Apache system is still very awkward to use
and git-svn still chokes on things occasionally).
- The GitHub 'ethic' - hard to explain
- The opportunity to change the working style. I feel that the
'meritocracy' approach only works well for clearly established
projects. Wave has too many options - and it is this that is dividing
the effort going in to it. Making decisions here is proving incredibly
difficult, getting votes for releases is very difficult, etc. As such,
I would push for a much clearer philosophy of the 'new project'.
Yes, this are the advantage of GitHub. But if you make a decision, you have also to look at the disadvantage. GitHub is a code dump plattform driven by a company. You can dump nearly anything there. No one cares about Copyright or Licensing. The entry barriere is realy low. This is nice if you have a small smart project driven by volunteers.(no payed developers). For Companies this is probabily to risky. They need to have clean IP.

At GitHub you will probabily find some freeky developer, who has time to spend same hours on the weekend. But you loos probabily the interest of Companies. Wave is not a small project and I doupt that you can drive this project with free time developers only.

I think, a move to GitHub will just extend the lifetime a bit, but not prevent wave from the dead. Freaky developers don't like complicate projects. They need to have fast success, to keep the motivation up. They like to do cool new features, not nasty bugfixes. I don't think this is the sort of people we need here.

Wave has many similarities to OpenOffice. Wave was developed in a Company with a load of manpower. It was droped and the Company hands over a codebase (wich is not easy to read) to a independed community. Moast of the formar developers are any longer active. This makes the life not easyer. But wave has also a big commercial potential. And for my point of view, the ASF is one of the best Organisation at FLOSS to get Companies involved.

The big problem of wave is, that there is no road map, no goal, nothing. I'm sure, anyone of us has different things in mind, what to do with wave. But without sharing our own interests, we will never find the direction of the project. And no company would invest money in a project without roadmap.

Or in short

Wave missing a roadmap and a common goal. I don't think, that a move to GitHub will solve this problem. IMOH Wave is on the right place at Apache. Next important Steps:
- Find the common Goals
- create roadmap
- make a release.
- communicate it to the outside world.
- focusing more on the commercial potential of Wave

Greetings Raphael

Sorry about the long email. :)
Comments

Ali